Singapore Energy Summit
||Energy Market Authority
||26 October 2015
||Sand Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands Singapore
Session 1: Asia’s New Energy Frontiers
11:00 - 12:30
This session examines Asia’s role and its potential to power changes in the global energy system to ensure a sustainable energy future.
- What are ASEAN’s most pressing energy challenges? How is the ASEAN region addressing them?
- What will be Asia’s role in shaping the future trends and direction of the global energy architecture?
- How will the formation of the ASEAN Economic Community impact the opportunities and challenges faced by ASEAN in setting the future energy trends?
- What is the potential for regional organisations in the Asia-Pacific to play a driving role in international energy cooperation?
Executive Vice President
State Grid Corporation of China
Senior Vice President, Operations
The World Bank
Lunch Plenary: Gas and Its Role in the Next Energy Transition
12:30 - 14:00
Countries need to secure sustainable sources of energy in order to fuel their economic growth and development. Against this backdrop, this session will examine the role of gas in shaping the global energy landscape and address the following:
- Global gas market dynamics – will Asian gas prices prevail in view of current market conditions and pricing dynamics?
- What is the outlook and most important drivers for the gas and LNG industry?
- How will growing competition and choice impact buyers and sellers?
- How do you see the dynamics of gas projects and supply evolving in line with limited growth in short-term LNG demand?
Lim Wee Seng
Managing Director, Project Finance, Institutional Banking Group
Session 2: Securing Energy in an Era of Uncertainty
14:00 - 15:15
The concept of energy security has evolved with changing global dynamics. While technology has unlocked new energy sources such as unconventional gas and made renewables more commercially viable, this session prompts us to re-think energy security in terms of energy choices, what is driving changes in the energy landscape and what the impact would be on future energy markets.
- Is there a global oil and gas glut? What is the impact of the surge in production of unconventional oil & gas on global energy markets?
- How would the volatility of oil prices affect the global energy balance in terms of fossil fuels, renewable energy and nuclear energy options?
- How can we respond to potential supply disruptions to ensure global energy security and the stability of global energy markets?
Gireesh B. Pradhan
Chairman and CE
Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC), India
Shunfeng International Clean Energy
In Focus: A Turning Point for Oil?
15:15 - 16:00
Recent changes in oil prices have shifted market dynamics, impacting energy projects across the industry globally. This session will examine recent trends and look ahead to discuss what can be expected ahead in terms of investment areas and trade.
- What are the geopolitical implications of the changes in oil prices on energy security, in particular for Asia?
- What is the impact of oil price volatility on global supply and demand?
- With prices at low levels, what role will oil play in our global energy mix in future?
- What can we expect of oil market developments in the short to medium-term?
Amos J Hochstein
Special Envoy and Coordinator for International Energy Affairs
Bureau of Energy Resources, U.S. Department of State
Chairman and CEO
The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan (IEEJ)
16:00 - 16:30
Session 3: Building Energy Resilience
16:30 - 17:30
This session takes a broad approach to consider what could potentially destabilise our energy systems such as cyber security attacks, climate change and financial shocks, and how we can effectively strengthen our system against these challenges.
- What are the biggest threats/risks to the security of the global energy system in the 21st century?
- How can advanced technology and innovation help strengthen resilience against cyber, environmental and financial threats to energy systems?
- What is the impact of global energy prices on the financing and commercial viability of energy projects?
- What are the financial and economic structures that underpin our energy systems and the challenges faced in line with strengthening energy resilience?
Loreta G. Ayson
Department of Energy, Republic of the Philippines
Aaron A. Domingo
Executive Vice President & COO
Meralco PowerGen Corporation (MGEN)
United Nations Sustainable Energy for All (UNSE4ALL)
SG50 Jubilee Reception