Singapore Energy Summit
Energy Market Authority
30 October 2018
Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands Singapore
The Singapore Energy Summit (SES) is a platform for strategic panel discussions on key energy issues. Featuring energy ministers and industry CEOs, the SES provides SIEW delegates with strategic insights into the current developments in the global energy landscape and how energy stakeholders could address the challenges and opportunities ahead.
SIEW Opening Panel: Energy Transformation in ASEAN
11:00 – 12:00 hrs
Faced with an evolving energy landscape, ASEAN needs to ensure rising energy demand is met in a secure, affordable and sustainable manner. This can be addressed through greater grid connectivity, energy efficiency and renewable energy deployment which are already underway. This session will discuss how ASEAN countries could collectively build on the current momentum and accelerate progress to enhance the region’s energy resilience.
Member of the Executive Committee
Dr Koh Poh Koon
Senior Minister of State
Ministry of Trade and Industry
Ministry of National Development
This panel is presented by:
Session 1: Invest
12:00 – 12:45 hrs
Investments are needed to develop critical infrastructure to meet Asia’s increasing energy demand. The push for more sustainable energy solutions is also shaping how we finance this new energy mix. This session will explore how we could create an enabling environment for investments to scale up financing and facilitate bankable, sustainable energy projects.
- What are the investment challenges facing energy projects and how could they be overcome?
- How is the continued push for clean energy solutions leading to the development of green finance and other sources of financing?
- How could private finance be mobilized to support public investment needs?
Adnan Z. Amin
International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Vice President, Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development
Asian Development Bank
12:45 – 14:00 hrs
Session 2: Innovate
14:00 – 15:00 hrs
While decentralisation, decarbonisation and digitalisation are disrupting the energy landscape, digitalisation has also enabled energy systems to become more connected, intelligent and efficient. Beyond technology, this session will focus on innovation in policies and business models.
- What are the next areas of disruption that could transform how we produce, use and consume energy?
- How could policies better promote innovation in the energy sector?
- How are oil & gas companies adapting in the transition towards decarbonization?
Session 3: Integrate
15:00 – 16:00 hrs
The integration of energy systems becomes increasingly important as the way we produce, deliver and consume energy becomes more complex. Apart from ensuring renewable energy and storage are economically integrated into the grid, interconnected energy markets need to ensure efficient electricity trading whilst maintaining the reliability of supply. This session will address how we could better integrate energy sources, systems and policies to facilitate our energy transformation.
- What does the energy system of the future look like?
- How can we maintain flexibility to optimise grid infrastructure and minimise system costs?
- How could governments and businesses facilitate power system integration including cross-border projects?
This panel is presented by:
SES Networking Reception